[RFC] Better management of bug to upstream stable patch relationship

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Tue Jun 1 23:12:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 09:51 +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
> Another issue that arises from preferring fixes coming though upstream stable
> is, that often in those patches, there is no reference to Launchpad bugs that
> are open for that issue.
> If the patch originated from us, we add a BugLink which is preserved, but if the
> patch already went upstream for other reasons or is only suggested by us for
> stable inclusion, there will be no such reference. Still it would be good to
> have a better view on which bugs should be fixed by a certain upstream stable patch.
> So the idea again would be to have a tag indicating that there is a fix expected
> from upstream stable and then probably have a formalized comment (maybe the git
> log --pretty=short of the patch in Linus tree) to allow automated scripts to
> find those bug reports and patch references.
>
> Comments?

Would you want to use the 'upstream-stable' tag you proposed in an
earlier thread [1] or did you have something else in mind?

Regardless, this all seems reasonable to me.  In the past I had actually
used even more granularity and tagged the bugs with the upstream stable
version that the fix would be landing in, eg. 2.6.32.13 or what have
you.

Thanks,
Leann

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2010-May/010842.html