linux-backports-input proposal

Taylor LeMasurier-Wren ripps818 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 10:57:00 BST 2010

Dear Kernel Team,
In Lucid and Maverick, the Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch series, a newer series
of wacom tablets, is broken and doesn't work. The current working solution
is to download the upstream linuxwacom source and rebuild the wacom kernel
module. As far as I can tell, the userspace driver is fine, and doesn't need
to be updated. Right now, I've been recommending people who have this
problem to download my wacom-dkms package from Wacom Kernel Module PPA
(ppa:ripps818/wacom). This solution is easier than having them compile their
own module, but it would be better to have a more official solution. Smb on
#ubuntu-kernel recommended a l-b-m package, and suggested I contact this
mailing list for more information. A wacom module backport package seems to
be a more ideal solution to the problem. I'd like to know if it would be
possible to implement one in Maverick, and a backport of it to Lucid?

---Taylor "Ripps" LeMasurier-Wren