Karmic kernel common debian infrastructure acceptance request

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 9 14:49:11 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 09:05:11PM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> Colin - I certainly hope you haven't been dragged over the coals anytime
> recently.

No, but my instructions at the time were ... exceedingly clear.

> We (the kernel team) have worked hard to fix bugs while not abusing
> the SRU process. The current stable release manager is a fanatic
> about following SRU policy :)
>
> I am somewhat reluctant to bring this before the TB because I don't
> really believe this is an abuse of the SRU policy (that, and I'm
> abysmally slow on IRC).

I'm happy to bring it to the TB for resolution, but it would be helpful
if somebody from the kernel team were there.  As I said, I genuinely
don't believe, based on past experience, that I have the authority to
accept this on my own.

> My own rational bias tells me that the spirit of the SRU policy is to
> cause no runtime regressions on our users computers.

The spirit is to not change things that don't need to be changed, since
our experience in all kinds of places has been that change is risk even
when it's been carefully checked.  Not changing things is less risky
than changing them.