ck patches in a ppa

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Tue Jul 27 09:34:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 01:25:36PM -0400, Daniel Hollocher wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I am working on a ppa [0] that consists of the kernel
> patched with the ck/bfs patches [1].
>
> Right now, I do this in a seemingly hackish way, based off the work of
> the person who was doing it before me[2].  This person put together a
> patch which I believe edits the package name in a whole bunch of
> places, and disables some of the sanity checks to get it working in a
> ppa setting.  What I have been doing is to just update this patch for
> new kernel releases, ie add this, remove that, update the line counts
> kinda thing.
>
> It is working for me.  My question is, is this really the best way to
> do things?  It is hard to tell through the different docs that I found
> through google...

Cirtianly that patch is doing much more than it needs to as it is
modifying the generated files as well as the source files.  In later
releases those files are not even included.

Generally it is making the output linux-bfs-image-VER-generic.  Where we
have done these sorts of split images we have tended to rather change
the name of the flavour, more like linux-image-VER-bfsgeneric or
similar.  We are looking at something similar right now for a
low-latency image so that may provide some insight.

-apw