help: why can't my hand-rolled kernel mount an LVM root FS?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jul 7 14:37:40 UTC 2010

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, Andy Whitcroft wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 05:06:00AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
... snip ...
> > both the upstream kernel tree linux-2.6 and the ubuntu-maverick
> > checkout are fully up to date, and since the linux-2.6 checkout is not
> > a tagged commit, i'll get the above error with a version mismatch when
> > i try to build.
> >
> >   as a quick workaround for now, i'll checkout the upstream tag
> > v2.6.35-rc4 in linuc-2.6 and try again, and now it's building, but
> > ideally, i shouldn't have to do that, i just need something to get
> > a working kernel sometime today so i can live with that tagged
> > checkout.
>
> With the fix in place you can then build with LOCALVERSION= and the
> + is guarenteed to be suppressed.  Normally that is supplied on
> kernel make line by the packaging, i am unsure how you would make
> make-kpkg do the same.

  i'm slightly confused ... what is it that the alleged "fix" is
fixing?  because if you can suppress the "+", then everything works.
i would assume that the proper fix would be to allow the "+" suffix
and allow the subsequent version comparison to work.  or, getting
truly carried away, to build new packages if the commit ID has
changed in any way.  but for now, just not blowing up when there's a
"+" would be sufficient.

  or am i just being dense again?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca