help: why can't my hand-rolled kernel mount an LVM root FS?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Jul 7 07:49:34 UTC 2010

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, manoj.iyer at canonical.com wrote:

> Maverick will be a lot closer to mainline kernel compared to lucid.
>
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, manoj.iyer at canonical.com wrote:
> >
> >> You could diff the config files to see what you are missing.
> >>
> >> Also, look here for help on building Ubuntu kernels:
> >> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Dev
> >> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/daily/
> >
> >  ok, i finally have a kernel that boots off of my LVM root fs, by
> > following the instructions here:
> >
> >  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild
> >
> > the section, "Using Ubuntu Kernel Configuration," so i'm not going to
> > mess with success, except to ask, could i use the ubuntu-maverick git
> > tree instead of ubuntu-lucid?  thanks.

  confirmation that something worked, and a question.

  first, i followed the instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/GitKernelBuild for building a
fairly recent kernel and it worked, i got my
"custom"-versioned packages, installed them, booted and came up under
my new kernel.  excellent.  that's the confirmation.

  i then tried the same thing using the "ubuntu-maverick" git pull
instead and, got all the way to the step of compiling the new kernel
and, very soon into the process (after having selected a version
string of "-rday" instead of "-custom") got:

====== making target debian/stamp/build/kernel [new prereqs: vars]======
This is kernel package version 12.032.
The changelog says we are creating 2.6.35-rc4-rday
However, I thought the version is 2.6.35-rc4-rday+
exit 1
make: *** [debian/stamp/build/kernel] Error 1

  i'm used to seeing that "+" suffix as a version control identifier
(or something like that).  so ... is there a reason that using the
lucid tree would work fine, but the maverick tree produces the above?

  the lucid tree is probably just fine for my purposes, now i'm just
curious.  and i clearly have much reading to do.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca