Question about submitting a patch

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Thu Jan 28 15:02:47 UTC 2010

Stefan Glasenhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just created a patch for the latest Lucid kernel (Version
> 2.6.32-11.15). The patch adds Xv-overlay support for all Intel
> 8xx-chipsets when using KMS. It is a backport from kernel version
> 2.6.33. The patch itself was created using the source code from the
> following git-repository :
>
> http://gitorious.org/daniel-s-linux-stuff/linux-kernel/commits/intel-kms-overlay-for-2.6.32
>
> I just updated the git-code to kernel version 2.6.32.6 and than "diffed"
> it against a vanilla kernel. There was only one error, which could be
> resolved be copy'n pasting the corresponding line into the original
> file. The patch also cleanly applies to the latest Lucid kernel.
>
> I just want to know where and how i can send this patch because it is
> very big (57kb) and i don't have a git-repository running on my notebook
> or elsewhere.

Backporting things in one big patch is usually frowned upon if it can be
avoided. If there is a reasonable small amount of patches the introduced that
support in 2.6.33 the best hope of getting this into 2.6.32 is to find that set
(which is greatly simplified by using git) and then get in touch with the
subsystem maintainer(s) (see the MAINTAINERS file in the kernel directory) to
ask/convince them for submitting that set to the stable mailing list.
There might be reasons against this, but again the subsystem maintainer(s) have
a better idea of what is possible or not.

Cheers,
Stefan