Fwd: [ANN] iw: v0.9.19

Tony Espy espy at canonical.com
Wed Jan 27 15:56:45 UTC 2010

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Luis - iw is currently a universe package. When will it become mandatory
>>> for manipulating wireless settings?
>>>
>>> I just uploaded iw_0.9.19
>> Well I don't ever refer anyone to 'iwconfig' except for two things
>> which we haven't ported yet:
>>
>>  * Changing output tx power
>>  * Disabling/enabling/tuning power save
>>
>> Apart from these two things 'iw' should be used by users for every
>> thing else. For modern 802.11n devices you will only get its
>> capabilities and scanning information from 802.11n APs using iw.
>> wireless-tools is deprecated just like ifconfig is in favor for ip at
>> this point.
>
> By the same token the rfkill userspace app is just as helpful, it
> certainly can help debug a lot of issues. I don't think that one is
> installed by default yet. One argument for such tool to be installed
> by default is it *can* allow for actual software rfkill when a
> platform does not have some button for it.

The rfkill userspace app is included in wireless-tools which lives in
main, which I think is installed by default ( it's present on my Karmic
system and I don't recall installing it directly ).

If "iw" is needed in main, I can write the MIR for inclusion in main (
unless someone's already beaten me to it ).

Regards,
/tony