Bogus EEPROM checksum and now?

Luis R. Rodriguez lrodriguez at atheros.com
Mon Jan 25 21:08:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 11:31:07AM -0800, Stefan Bader wrote:
> Stefan Bader wrote:
> > Hi Luis,
> >
> > ok this was somewhat to be expected when adding the patch to check for the
> > EEPROM checksum to stable[1]. The question is, is the a workable way to get that
> > fixed on the adapter or would it not have been better to have at least an option
> > to allow users to override it with the message that they cannot submit any
> > bugreports that get listened to?
>
> Note: I overlooked that this specific case was already fixed by a later patch
> that did not get into 2.6.31.y.

Indeed, also AFAICT I did not push the EEPROM checksum into 2.6.31, was that
a patch you cherry picked in to 2.6.31 for Ubuntu?

> Still generically it would be interesting what
> would be the approach if there is someone approaching with a invalid checksum.

Just tell them their card is busted. There was indeed a bug in the checksum
computation, and I fixed that.

> Are the EEPROMs to your knowledge simply be upgradeable by vendors (if they
> care) or would you think an override acceptable?

They are programmed once, that's it. Its done by the ODMs based on samplying
of a card out of a group. The checksum shall never fail, the other OS drivers
also use this same checksum.

  Luis