Fwd: [ANN] iw: v0.9.19

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 18:41:44 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> Slowly deprecating wireless-tools in favor for iw is a good step
>> forward for users, this is the latest iw release. The iw documentation
>> is available at:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw
>>
>> And for those looking for a quick guide when trying to get used to iw
>> by referencing wireless-tools as example can use this:
>>
>> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/iw/replace-iwconfig
>>
>> I noticed iw was not installed by default on 9.10, would be nice to
>> see it default in Lucid.
>>
>>   Luis
>>

> Luis - iw is currently a universe package. When will it become mandatory
> for manipulating wireless settings?
>
> I just uploaded iw_0.9.19

Well I don't ever refer anyone to 'iwconfig' except for two things
which we haven't ported yet:

  * Changing output tx power
  * Disabling/enabling/tuning power save

Apart from these two things 'iw' should be used by users for every
thing else. For modern 802.11n devices you will only get its
capabilities and scanning information from 802.11n APs using iw.
wireless-tools is deprecated just like ifconfig is in favor for ip at
this point.

  Luis