Booting ancient kernels on Ubuntu 9.10

Darxus at ChaosReigns.com Darxus at ChaosReigns.com
Fri Jan 15 19:17:39 UTC 2010

Your photo says the root filesystem failed to mount, but doesn't say why.

You probably have a ext4 root filesystem with extents, which I believe is
the default for 9.10.  And extents are not backward compatible with /
mountable as ext3, and it looks like you don't have ext4 compiled in.

On 01/15, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:28 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
> > Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
> > the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
> > and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
> > one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.
>
> I've tested 2.6.23 all the way up and the last working kernel is
> 2.6.27. Here's a picture of 2.6.25 boot failure, but its the same on
> 2.6.26:
>
> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/images/2010/boot-9.10-on-2.6.25.jpg
>
> I'm using stock kernel builds for >= 2.6.27 as that is when Ubuntu
> started producing mainline kernels, I've built the others which makes
> me suspect I misconfigured them. Here's my config on 2.6.26, for
> example:
>
> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/configs/2010/config-2.6.26.8-fail-on-9.10.txt
>
> Not sure what it could be.
>
>   Luis