Karmic, Xen domU and linux-image-virtual

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Fri Feb 26 15:27:35 UTC 2010

Paul van Berlo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recent versions of the kernel installed by linux-image-virtual on
> Karmic/i386 (-generic-pae) cannot be used in a Xen domU since they're
> lacking Xen support. I noticed that a fix was committed for this some
> time ago, what is the normal lead time for a newer version of the
> kernel (with this fix) to hit the repository? The current kernel in
> proposed doesn't include Xen support either. I'm a bit in a catch-22
> here, can't deploy multiple Xen machines due to this kernel on karmic,
> and I can't start experimenting with lucid (which does have the fixed
> kernel in the repo) since drbd8 cannot be properly installed. Custom
> compiling breaks more things, especially properly install drbd8 - and
> I want to stay away from custom compiling anyhow in case I need
> commercial support in the future.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Paul van Berlo

Yes, that change has been a bit delayed as the current proposed kernel already
contains several upstream changes that needed to stay there to see whether there
are problems with them. Then there is always a chance of security updates which
can delay things further.
I am not sure how much this would help you, we try to keep a sort of kernel-next
PPA[1] which contains those things queued up but not uploaded into proposed.
(Though it could also contain regression, not yet found). Maybe that would be a
work-around until the changes you need have landed in updates?

Stefan

[1] https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/pre-proposed