HDA beep regression...

Daniel J Blueman daniel.blueman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:21:37 UTC 2010

Hi Daniel, Andy,

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Daniel Chen <seven.steps at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:41 AM, Daniel J Blueman
> <daniel.blueman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The HDA-beep isn't active when booting into the 2.6.32-12-generic
>> Ubuntu kernel [1], but is with newer mainline kernels (eg [2]) -
>> looking at the kernel .config difference, we see:
>
> Actually it is active; grep for BEEP in /boot/config-$(uname -r).
>
> I've requested a pull to reinstate the patch mentioned by Luke.

What I meant is that, while the HDA beep is configured on in Ubuntu
kernels, the beep isn't emitted due to module options etc disabling
it.

In later mainline kernels, the mechanism has changed, introducing
CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE, which should be configured to 0 to
have the same behaviour.

This wouldn't normally be a big problem, but since pulse leaves it at
100% volume (and is independent of master volume), it saturates all
outputs, which is impolite and surprising when the master volume is
set low.

Let me know if you need more information etc and thanks!

Daniel
--
Daniel J Blueman