HDA beep regression...

Daniel J Blueman daniel.blueman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 16:00:44 UTC 2010

Hi Andy,

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Daniel J Blueman
<daniel.blueman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Andy Whitcroft <apw at canonical.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:48:04PM +0000, Daniel J Blueman wrote:
>>> Hi Tim, Andy,
>>>
>>> With newer mainline kernel builds (eg 2.6.33-rc) containing the new
>>> HDA beep framework, a new config option was introduced that was set
>>> on, re-introducing the (somewhat overzealous) system beep. With pulse
>>> audio not reconfiguring the PC-beep channel volume, this often
>>> saturates built-in or external speakers/headphones at undesired times
>>> (eg when shutting down).
>>>
>>> Is it reasonable to ask to change the Ubuntu mainline kernel configuration:
>>>
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE=1
>>>
>>> to =0, or, disable:
>>>
>>> CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP=y ?
>>
>> It is cirtainly possible to change configurations for these kernels
>> slightly from those used in the main Ubuntu kernels.  What do these two
>> do?  Which is preferred?
>
> The HDA-beep isn't active when booting into the 2.6.32-12-generic
> Ubuntu kernel [1], but is with newer mainline kernels (eg [2]) -
> looking at the kernel .config difference, we see:
>
> - "CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE=1" was introduced in 2.6.33-rc
> - "CONFIG_SND_HDA_PATCH_LOADER" is unset in 2.6.33-rc
>
> Rebuilding the mainline kernel with BEEP_MODE=0 mutes the beep per
> default, perhaps the best option, as it is possible to re-enable the
> beep via module options/sysfs if needed.
>
> Also, PATCH_LOADER is needed for loading model-specific codec
> configuration, where the BIOS doesn't present the correct data, so
> should be enabled as per the Ubuntu kernel.
>
> It would be great if you can enable these options for the next
> mainline kernel build.
>
> Many thanks!
>  Daniel
>
> [1] http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-2.6.32-12-generic_2.6.32-12.17_amd64.deb
> [2] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.33-rc7/linux-image-2.6.33-020633rc7-generic_2.6.33-020633rc7_amd64.deb

I also noticed while checking through the mainline and 9.10 kernel
configs (relevant to mainline and 10.04 kernels) and found:

 - CONFIG_BLK_DEV_BSG should be enabled: "This option is required by
recent UDEV versions to properly access device serial numbers, etc. If
unsure, say Y."
 - CONFIG_MTRR_SANITIZER_ENABLE_DEFAULT should be set to 1: "Convert
MTRR layout from continuous to discrete, so X drivers can add
writeback entries. If unsure, say Y."
 -> an over-specified uncacheable MTRR entry will override per-page
PAT flags, killing performance
 - CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME should be enabled, since it prevents USB (etc)
suspend working on platforms that implement it correctly
 - CONFIG_PCIEASPM
  -> the kernel backlists platforms where these are not reliable, but
everyone else shouldn't lose out as a result

What do you think?

Thanks,
  Daniel
--