[ubuntu-x] Status of kernel X drivers

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Thu Feb 18 22:40:00 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 03:41:24PM -0600, Steve Conklin wrote:
> Backport the entire drm stack from .33 to Lucid.
>
> After release and if needed, create a lbm package to deliver .34 or .35
>
> With support from the X side, I think that this is a good solution.

This is essentially option 2 that we discussed yesterday.  The
discussion on #dri-devel greatly lessens my concern about risk levels
for this option.  That they have been focusing on stabilization on
2.6.33 is very encouraging.

There may be some changes needed on the X side, but I think it's
doable and I think it should not be a problem supporting this.

I mentioned the con for option #1 was the quantity of backporting
needed.  The discussion on #dri-devel underscores this.

>From apw's Kernel Summary, about why we are going with 2.6.32:

  The primary decision for the kernel team at UDS is to choose the base
  kernel version for the release.  For Lucid this will be 2.6.32.  This
  version has just released providing the maximum stabalisation time, it
  also is expected to be the kernel of choice for long term releases
  from other distributions.[1]

If other distros are pulling the 2.6.33 drm on top of their 2.6.32 for
their long term releases as sounds like is the case[2], then this would
be a fairly significant divergence on our part for no real gain.

Bryce

1: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/kernel-team/2009-December/007948.html
2: http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/kernel/F-12/drm-upgrayedd.patch?view=log