Note: Atheros ethernet part of compat-wireless too

Luis R. Rodriguez mcgrof at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 20:07:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Ozan Çağlayan <ozan at pardus.org.tr> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>> I wanted to let you know I threw in the Atheros ethernet drivers as
>> part of compat-wireless.
>
> Shouldn't that be named to compat-network or something else as it already contains
> 80211, bluetooth and even ethernet drivers?

Yeah I was thinking about that but note that it does't contain all
Ethernet, but just only a few ethernet drivers so have been reluctant
to change it mainly also because of all the other wiki updates I'd
have to do. We started with b44 Ethernet as the 802.11 b43 driver
required a new ssb module but updated the ssb module meant that your
old b44 Ethernet driver would be bust, so this is why we added b44
into compat-wireless.

I tried to backport Atheros Ethernet into compat-wireless just because
I work for Atheros and it turned out to be extremely simple so why
not.

I've considered backporting even video but haven't had the proper
motivation yet as I just run bleeding edge kernel on desktop at home
that does require bleeding edge ATI radeon. That is likely better on
its own package. Anyway in case anyone finds common compat stuff
useful for creating their own compat-whatever there is a compat.git
tree now too which compat-wireless makes use of. Its the tree where I
will put anything that is generic backport.

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mcgrof/compat.git

  Luis