Booting ancient kernels on Ubuntu 9.10

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 2 19:36:31 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 10:28 -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> Curious if other developers have tried to boot ancient kernels on
> Ubuntu 9.10. I've had issues, seems init fails while trying to mount
> the root filesystem but I'm not yet sure why that is. I tried 2.6.23
> and 2.6.24 but no luck. I have the other kernels, will see at which
> one it started to fail, but curious if others have tried.

This is something that's flat-out not expected to work, and I'm not
really interested in making it work either - since it would lead to
complexity and maintenance burden.

The minimum supported kernel version for any release is the kernel
version that comes with that release.  You should be safe to upgrade to
newer versions, but not use older.

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant