Likely Duplicate Bugs

Colin Ian King colin.king at canonical.com
Mon Feb 1 11:56:00 UTC 2010

Hi Brian,

This kernel message are dups of the same BIOS corruption message, but
occurs on a wide range of machines. I had a look at the first 15 or so
of the dups and saw that there was a wide spread of Aspire, HP Compaqs
and Pavilions and quite a number of unknown systems too.

Specifically, the kernel fills known regions of the low 64K of memory
with a known pattern and periodically monitors them.  Any buggy BIOS
that writes to these regions gets detected and the warning is issued.

BIOS corruption of these regions can occur when doing suspend/resume or
HDMI cable unplugging.

The error message is a warning - the system's stability is not
compromised as the pages being monitored are already reserved for the
purpose of being monitored for corruption in the first place.

This check can be disabled by setting the kernel boot parameter
memory_corruption_check=0

Since this is intended as a BIOS corruption detection tool perhaps it
should be disabled as a compile time option to stop getting these
messages. However, it does have some value in showing that the BIOS may
be dodgy.

Colin