is there a fix for ubuntu with intel GPU booting to blank screen?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Dec 27 11:50:19 UTC 2010

  i've posted on a couple other lists but i figured i'd ask the
experts.  on my updated/upgraded ubuntu system (gateway NV79 with
intel GPU), i've built my own kernel from the latest linus git tree as
i've done many times in the past, but this kernel boots to a blank
screen.  here's a reference that seems to nicely summarize my
situation:

  weirdly, i'm currently running an earlier "rc" hand-rolled git
kernel which works fine:

$ uname -a
Linux lynx 2.6.37-rc5+ #1 SMP Fri Dec 10 12:09:02 EST 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
$

(even though it says lynx, it's maverick simply fully updated.)

  and this is from lspci:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 12) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device 031c
        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 3050 [size=8]
        Expansion ROM at <unassigned> [disabled]
        Capabilities: <access denied>
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
... snip ..

  i've tried various suggestions from google, as in "modeset noacpi"
and others, but nothing works to get video on my rc7+ kernel.  the
rc5+ verison, though, boots properly without incident.  and the link i
gave to launchpad above suggests, at the bottom, that even as late as
dec 12, people were still having problems.

  i'm open to suggestions, not scared to patch my kernel source and
rebuild and reboot.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca