is there a fix for ubuntu with intel GPU booting to blank screen?

Maxim Levitsky maximlevitsky at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 21:46:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-12-31 at 12:01 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
>
> ... snip related to i915 blank screen issues ...
>
> > Since you know how to compile kernel, and even have a close working
> > version, you really should just bisect the bug.
> >
> > Bisection is a built-in in the git binary search that allows you to
> > find the first commit that introduced the bug.
> >
> > For example, quick google gives,
> > http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git-core/docs/v1.0.13/howto/isolate-bugs-with-bisect.txt
>
>   oh, i know how to do bisection but, to be frank, i just don't have
> the time.  i'm under a brutal deadline for some billable work and,
> even if i had the time, i suspect that when i eventually tracked down
> the commit, i probably wouldn't really appreciate what i was looking
> at, anyway.
You truly underestimate this.
Having commit that broke things points perfectly at the issue.
Then, developers can even just revert the offending commit until it is
understood why it breaks stuff.

I have done many bisections in the past, and lot of bugs were fixed that
way.

I personally can't help you with the issue, because I am nether familiar
with the hardware nor with the driver, but I just say what I do when I
get a regression (and this not uncommon).

Best regards,
	Maxim Levitsky