git help

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Mon Aug 30 14:42:21 UTC 2010

On 08/30/2010 04:09 PM, manoj.iyer at canonical.com wrote:

> I normally do
>
> git fetch origin; git rebase origin

While probably correct I would use the explicit version for the rebase

git rebase origin/master

In that form the target is the target to rebase to. While with --onto
the target follows the onto and the second argument is the starting point.
I am not exactly sure what @{1} will result in exactly (I believe it could
follow history of pushes) but its definitely not what you want.
You want the commit which was the head when you branched or was the head to
which you rebased last (this would be git merge base <yourbranch> origin/master
but that is what the short form does. Or you look up the first commit in git log
which is not belonging to your patch set and use this in

git rebase --onto origin/master <sha1>

Stefan