grub gfxpayload=keep bugs

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Thu Aug 26 00:04:24 UTC 2010

Hi All,

Per last week's release meeting [1] a request came up from cjwatson
(Colin Watson) asking if we could provide some extra focus on grub
gfxpayload=keep bugs [2] as we ramp up for Natty.  I mentioned I'd get
this on our team's radar, hence this email.  It seems gfxpayload=keep
was triggering kernel lockups for some video cards.  As a result, for
the Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick release, they've gone back to defaulting to
gfxpayload=text in grub.  For Natty, the Foundations Team would like to
enable gfxpayload=keep by default.

JFo (Jeremy Foshee) is already helping track and triage some of the
gfxpayload=keep bugs.  Perhaps we can discuss some of these in next
week's bug chat.  I also realize we will all be fairly busy ramping up
for Maverick's release.  However, hopefully after Kernel Freeze (Sept
16) we might get a little more breathing room to really dedicate some
attention to this issue.  I also assume this will translate into some
Natty blueprint work items for next cycle.

Thanks in advance,
Leann

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2010-08-20
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.searchtext=gfxpayload%3Dkeep