Maverick Beta Approaching

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Tue Aug 24 13:36:46 UTC 2010

On 08/24/2010 07:28 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
> 2010-08-24 14:52, Tim Gardner skrev:
>>>
>>> I'm still new, and still looking for a checklist of what/how to do with
>>> my patches, what to put here and there to satisfy both upstream and
>>> Ubuntu. So far I've been sending them upstream only.
>>>
>>> Mind adding the attached ones for Maverick Beta? Some of them might
>>> already be there. Or do you prefer git SHA's?
>>>

>> David - all of these patches look appropriate for stable updates. If you
>> add
>>
>> Cc: stable at kernel.org
>>
>> immediately after your Signed-off-by: in the upstream submission, then
>> they'll automatically propagate to the various stable updates once they
>> are accepted into Linus' tree. Otherwise you'll have to send an email to
>> stable at kernel.org with the SHA1 from Linus' tree requesting them for
>> inclusion in the next stable update.
>
> Thanks for the tip, I hope I'll remember it for next time. However,
> IIRC, this can take several weeks, right? What if I want them to reach
> Ubuntu before that, due to e g various Ubuntu Archive freezes?

If you can show that these patches are in a maintainer's tree (like
Takashi's ALSA tree) and destined for mainline inclusion, then Leann
might consider taking them as pre-stable patches. These particular
patches are pretty minor, but a more complex patch would require a bit
more consideration because even if we take it now, the patch that lands
upstream could be quite different thus increasing our maintenance burden.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com