LIRC 0.8.7 Fixes for Maverick

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Mon Aug 23 15:34:58 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:31:57AM -0400, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Adding Jarod Wilson.
>
> On 08/23/2010 10:23 AM, Tim Gardner wrote:
> >On 08/19/2010 09:53 AM, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> >>Hi Everyone:
> >>
> >>I've assembled and tested a set of LIRC fixes for Maverick that should
> >>be compatible with 2.6.35. These sauce patches should be droppable for
> >>2.6.36 (lirc is in staging, and mceusb/streamzap should be merged from
> >>v4l-dvb's other branch into mainline). The 4 sauce patches are the same
> >>ones that Fedora 14 is going to be shipping with.
> >>
> >>I've also opened a tracking bug for this at
> >>https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/620498. Pull
> >>request below.
> >>

> >>The following changes since commit
> >>c3395bde8d122155fec15f2d2953a3426b09fbc2:
> >>Mathieu J. Poirier (1):
> >>UBUNTU: SAUCE: (no-up) ARM: Resetting power_mode to its original value.
> >>
> >>are available in the git repository at:
> >>
> >>git://kernel.ubuntu.com/mariol/ubuntu-maverick.git lirc-maverick
> >>
> >>Jarod Wilson (4):
> >>UBUNTU: SAUCE: Bring in staging/lirc from 2.6.36
> >>UBUNTU: SAUCE: Update ir-core to linuxtv/other which should be merged
> >>for 2.6.36.
> >>UBUNTU: SAUCE: Fix memleaks in imon and mceusb drivers
> >>UBUNTU: SAUCE: Bring in streamzap support from linuxtv/other
> >>
> >>Mario Limonciello (2):
> >>UBUNTU: Remove ubuntu/lirc in favor of staging/lirc from 2.6.36
> >>UBUNTU: [Config] Regenerate config for LIRC in staging
> >In principle I'm OK with this since it pulls in from upstream
> >(mostly). I assume its ARM safe since its a USB protocol?
> >
> >Whats the story with IR_RC5_SZ_DECODER which _didn't_ land in 2.6.36 ?
> >
> >I think you should rip out ubuntu/lirc as the first commit as that
> >ought to make things a bit more bisectable. As soon as
> >drivers/staging/lirc/Kconfig and drivers/media/IR/Kconfig are
> >updated, bisection gets a bit more complex. Bisection is gonna be
> >a PITA any way you do it, so its up to Leann.
> >
> >Acked-by: Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com>
> >
> Jarod:
>
> Could you comment on those first two questions?  I don't have a
> method to test on ARM, so if there are any worries, i'll just redo
> the config commit to disable ARM.

Don't know of any reason any of this wouldn't work on ARM just as well (or
as badly?) as the old lirc bits would, but I've never touched ARM myself.

The streamzap bits are posted to linux-media, but have not yet been merged
by Mauro. He's been a bit busy lately, and hasn't had a chance to review
them in-depth yet, but told me that at a glance, they looked fine, and he
agrees with the approach taken using the additional decoder, so those bits
*should* be committed pretty much as-is relatively soon. Whether or not
they'll make 2.6.36 remains to be seen.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at redhat.com