How do I upgrade the kernel after adding PPA. Need to patch for fix to Synaptic touchpad on vostro v13 -- wireless now fails

Simon Hook simon.j.hook at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Aug 20 14:19:11 UTC 2010

Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 08/20/2010 07:11 AM, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> On 08/19/2010 10:48 PM, Simon Hook wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a Dell Vostro v13 with Ubuntu 10.04 2.6.32-24-generic.
>>> Unfortunately the synaptics touchpad is not recognized and assigned
>>> to a
>>> generic mouse driver. The generic driver skips and does not support
>>> side
>>> scrolling. The bug has been submitted to launchpad and is described
>>> here:
>>> Bug #380126</bugs/380126>
>>> Bug #545565</bugs/545565>
>>>
>>> Recently I was pointed to a kernel patch which should fix it but the
>>> patch generates errors when applied to my kernel version but I was told
>>> the patch would work with the latest kernel and I could use the ppa to
>>> get the latest kernel.
>>>
>>>    https://edge.launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa
>>> <https://edge.launchpad.net/%7Ekernel-ppa/+archive/ppa>
>>>
>>> I have added the ppa as a software source and done an apt-get update
>>> but
>>> my system has not updated and I do not know what I am doing wrong. Here
>>> are the steps I have been through:
>>>
>>> https://answers.launchpad.net/dell-recovery/+question/121518
>>>
>>> How do I install the latest kernel so I can try the patch. The problem
>>> is really annoying and affects numerous people.
>>>
>>> thanks for any help -- S.
>>>

>> You'll be wanting to install one of the LTS backport meta packages. Now
>> that you've added the software source entry, you can search for a
>> package, i.e.,
>>
>> sudo apt-get update
>> apt-cache search lts
>>
>> The package you likely want (since you have a desktop) is
>> linux-image-generic-lts-backport-maverick, i.e.,
>>
>> sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-backport-maverick
>>
>> which will also install all of its dependencies, namely
>> linux-image-2.6.35-17-generic.
>>
>> This meta package will continue to depend on the latest LTS backport
>> kernel, regardless of package name changes caused by ABI bumps.
>>
>> rtg
>
> As a follow-up, the kernel you should expect is currently
> linux-image-2.6.35-16-generic. The -17- kernel is still building, so I
> have yet to update the meta package.
Hi well the kernel upgrade worked except now my wireless stopped
working. In addition the patch to the mouse driver gave exactly the same
errors as under  10.04 2.6.32-24-generic. How do I revert the kernel
back to 2.6.32-24-generic so I can get wireless back?

thanks, Simon

p.s. FYI. When I first upgraded to 10.04 I had to go on to a wired
conenction and do an update to get the latest patches to get wireless to
work which I did not have to do with 9.04.