How do I upgrade the kernel after adding PPA. Need to patch for fix to Synaptic touchpad on vostro v13

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Fri Aug 20 13:24:24 UTC 2010

On 08/20/2010 03:11 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 08/19/2010 10:48 PM, Simon Hook wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Dell Vostro v13 with Ubuntu 10.04 2.6.32-24-generic.
>> Unfortunately the synaptics touchpad is not recognized and assigned to a
>> generic mouse driver. The generic driver skips and does not support side
>> scrolling. The bug has been submitted to launchpad and is described here:
>> Bug #380126</bugs/380126>
>> Bug #545565</bugs/545565>
>>
>> Recently I was pointed to a kernel patch which should fix it but the
>> patch generates errors when applied to my kernel version but I was told
>> the patch would work with the latest kernel and I could use the ppa to
>> get the latest kernel.
>>
>>   https://edge.launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa
>> <https://edge.launchpad.net/%7Ekernel-ppa/+archive/ppa>
>>
>> I have added the ppa as a software source and done an apt-get update but
>> my system has not updated and I do not know what I am doing wrong. Here
>> are the steps I have been through:
>>
>> https://answers.launchpad.net/dell-recovery/+question/121518
>>
>> How do I install the latest kernel so I can try the patch. The problem
>> is really annoying and affects numerous people.
>>
>> thanks for any help -- S.
>>

> You'll be wanting to install one of the LTS backport meta packages. Now
> that you've added the software source entry, you can search for a
> package, i.e.,
>
> sudo apt-get update
> apt-cache search lts
>
> The package you likely want (since you have a desktop) is
> linux-image-generic-lts-backport-maverick, i.e.,
>
> sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-backport-maverick
>
> which will also install all of its dependencies, namely
> linux-image-2.6.35-17-generic.
>
> This meta package will continue to depend on the latest LTS backport
> kernel, regardless of package name changes caused by ABI bumps.
>
> rtg
I am not sure this is exactly what Simon wants. It might be some meta package
issue but I had the impression he just wanted to normal pre-proposed kernels,
not the 2.6.35 lts backport. There has been a period of time where we had
pre-proposed meta not up to date. But that should have been fixed by now.

Stefan