Nasty freezes on 10.04

Simon Almström simonalmstrom at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 20 12:00:57 UTC 2010

Dear Kernel developers,

I have recently updated from Ubuntu 9.10 to 10.04 on my Laptop. After not using it for too long I have found a few nasty freezes that I did not have on the 9.10. I am writing because I would appreciate if someone with a good understanding of the system could have a look at them. I am suspecting that possible two of them might be the same root cause.

The first freeze is when I unplug the the power cable. Also if I start the computer without the power cable it will freeze as soon as I get to the new "water" background (I have automatic login). See 615803

          Computer
 freeze when removing power cable (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-power-manager/+bug/615803) for more details.

The second freeze is when I use the fn-buttons for back-light control. All other fn-buttons are working fine but the two for back-light control causes a freeze. See 619397

          Laptop
 freeze when changing brightness (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/619397) for more details.

The third fault I have found is a really nasty one because I believe it destroys the boot files. It happens after the laptop comes out of hibernation. Once I have had this fault, I am unable to start the laptop (in fail safe mode or normal mode) and I have to re-install Ubuntu 9.10 and then 10.04 to get it to work again. See 619450

          Re-installation
 needed after laptop hibernation (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pm-utils/+bug/619450)

As you can see, these three bugs are all related to fundamental functions of a laptop and quite annoying. I am not sure how to approach these problems or how to debug the issues. One observation that I have made is that they are all, in some way, related to the back-light. The back-light on the first issue comes on if I am inactive (although I am not when I get the freeze), the second issue is obviously related to the back-light and in the third the back-light is changed to quite low when I get back from hibernation (there most be something else wrong as well because I am unable to start the laptop in console mode even).

I hope that someone can help me. If there is anything I can do to help fault find, I would be more than happy to do that.

Kind regards,
Simon Almström