[Lucid][pull request] Update to 2.6.32.17

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Fri Aug 20 09:35:08 UTC 2010

On 08/19/2010 06:02 PM, Brad Figg wrote:

> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/615548
>
> The 2.6.32.17 stable kernel has bee recently released.
>
>   http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.32.17
>   http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.32.17.bz2
>
> The upstream process for stable tree updates is quite similar
> in scope to the Ubuntu SRU process. e.g: each patch demonstrably
> fixes a bug and is vetted by upstream either by originating
> directly from Linus' tree or by being minimally backported from
> some patch in Linus' tree.
>

> TEST CASE: TBD
>
> The following upstream stable patches were skipped due to having been
> previously applied as a CVE:
>  * ecryptfs: Bugfix for error related to ecryptfs_hash_buckets
>
> The following upstream stable patches were skipped due to non trivial
> revert issues:
>  * igb: change how we handle alternate mac addresses
>
> The following commits have been replaced by upstream stable patches, and
> have been reverted:
>  * drm/radeon/kms: add quirk for ASUS HD 3600 board
>  * (pre-stable) drm/i915: make sure eDP panel is turned on
>  * (pre-stable) drm/i915: make sure we shut off the panel in eDP configs
>  * (pre-stable) drm/i915: add PANEL_UNLOCK_REGS definition
>  * (pre-stable) drm/i915: Make G4X-style PLL search more permissive
>  * ext4: don't return to userspace after freezing the fs with a mutex held
>  * ext4: Fix potential quota deadlock
>  * ext4: replace BUG() with return -EIO in ext4_ext_get_blocks
>  * ext4, jbd2: Add barriers for file systems with exernal journals
>  * ext4: Eliminate potential double free on error path
>  * ext4: return correct wbc.nr_to_write in ext4_da_writepages
>  * ext4: Ensure zeroout blocks have no dirty metadata
>  * ext4: Patch up how we claim metadata blocks for quota purposes
>  * ext4: Fix accounting of reserved metadata blocks
>  * ext4: Calculate metadata requirements more accurately
>  * ext4: Handle -EDQUOT error on write
>  * ext4: Fix quota accounting error with fallocate
>  * ext4: Drop EXT4_GET_BLOCKS_UPDATE_RESERVE_SPACE flag
>  * ext4: Use bitops to read/modify EXT4_I(inode)->i_state
>  * ext4: Fix BUG_ON at fs/buffer.c:652 in no journal mode
>  * ext4: Add flag to files with blocks intentionally past EOF
>  * ext4: Fix fencepost error in chosing choosing group vs file
> preallocation.
>  * ext4: fix error handling in migrate
>  * ext4: explicitly remove inode from orphan list after failed direct io
>  * ext4: Handle non empty on-disk orphan link
>  * ext4: make "offset" consistent in ext4_check_dir_entry()
>  * ext4: Fix insertion point of extent in mext_insert_across_blocks()
>  * ext4: Fix the NULL reference in double_down_write_data_sem()
>  * ext4: Code cleanup for EXT4_IOC_MOVE_EXT ioctl
>  * ext4: Fix estimate of # of blocks needed to write indirect-mapped files
>  * ext4: Fixed inode allocator to correctly track a flex_bg's used_dirs
>  * ext4: Fix possible lost inode write in no journal mode
> [...]

Just for completeness I had a few "hmm" cases (though none that should prevent
taking the patches):
commit 0c81772d85ce37f20b51d7153df334405c18458c
Author: Joerg Roedel <joerg.roedel at amd.com>

    KVM: SVM: Handle MCEs early in the vmexit process

# Type: Race

!It roughtly seems to be doing what it says, though it is a bit confusing
that this basically disables functionality in the exeption function.

commit d0bcb2ba3959b8ea25d63638730fc9c7ab289f27
Author: Baruch Siach <baruch at tkos.co.il>

    dm9000: fix "BUG: spinlock recursion"

# Type: Locking

!Looks ok for timeout case, not sure about open and resume.

commit ad9421c9c4ad5debb3b0ce5a5c452ae6ff2a52a0
Author: Ben Hutchings <ben at decadent.org.uk>

    V4L/DVB: budget: Select correct frontends

# Type: Build system

Modifies build options
!This might require to check in a updateconfigs run and maybe also some
ABI tweaking.