Cleaning up of /lib/modules

Loïc Minier loic.minier at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 16 12:17:50 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> The issue is that these are not files generated by the kernel package
> per-se, they are generated by modutils; though they are generated by
> commands triggered in postinst from the kernel.  Changes in modutils
> lead to us being blamed for files remaining.  That package really needs
> to offer a 'clean up the room before leaving' option.  It is not clear
> how the kernel packaging could check for this at packaging time.

 Agreed; I checked module-init-tools/depmod.c and the depfiles[] array
 has them all; the only other /lib/modules/*/modules.* files are
 modules.order and modules.builtin which are regular files shipped by
 the .debs.

 I think we should add a --purge to depmod or so.

 Thanks for sharing the idea, are you interested in implementing it?

--
Loïc Minier