Cleaning up of /lib/modules

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Mon Aug 16 11:21:28 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 12:14:59PM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
>         Hey!
>
>  Purging linux-image-2.6.35-13-generic, I got yet another warning from
>  dpkg that some files remained in lib/modules.
>
>  I think the kernel packaging process should have some checks in place
>  to prevent this class of issues to appear again and again and again:
>  - LP #345623/348395: modules.alias.bin modules.dep.bin
>    modules.symbols.bin (jaunty)
>  - LP #415832: same files, reappeared in karmic!
>  - LP #516584: modules.builtin.bin
>  - LP #618591: modules.devname modules.softdep
>
>  I don't know whether you have an easy way to test for these, perhaps
>  there should be some QA process for installing then purging a kernel
>  package, before uploading it to the archive?

The issue is that these are not files generated by the kernel package
per-se, they are generated by modutils; though they are generated by
commands triggered in postinst from the kernel.  Changes in modutils
lead to us being blamed for files remaining.  That package really needs
to offer a 'clean up the room before leaving' option.  It is not clear
how the kernel packaging could check for this at packaging time.

All of that said likely yes we should be doing periodic checks for new
files being left behind.

-apw