Please include patch from bug 606081 (missing copy_from_user in radeon drm code)

Daniel J Blueman daniel.blueman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 14:37:25 UTC 2010

On 8 August 2010 13:28, Dr. David Alan Gilbert <dave at treblig.org> wrote:
> * Daniel J Blueman wrote:
>> On 7 August 2010 18:59, Dr. David Alan Gilbert <dave at treblig.org> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >  Please could you pick up my patch in bug 606081
>> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/606081
>> >
>> > It fixes a missing copy_from_user in the radeon drm code that
>> > causes an oops running google earth on 64bit Maverick.
>> >
>> > It's not clear to me whether there also needs to be a separate
>> > fix to the 32bit compat code; but the patch fixes the oops
>> > which is a pretty obvious missing copy_from_user.
>> > (I don't think it's actually a security issue - the read value
>> > is only used in a comparison, not returned directly).
>> >
>> > Dave
>>
>> It's best to forward your patch
>> [http://launchpadlibrarian.net/52825846/radeon-info-ioctl-cfu.diff] to
>> linux-kernel at vger.kernel.org and dri-devel at lists.freedesktop.org and
>> CC stable at vger.kernel.org .
>>
>> The patch will be released in 2.6.35.1, which will be used in Maverick.
>
> Hi Daniel,
>  Thanks for the reply.  The patch is already included in the upstream
> bug at fdo and Dave Airlie has queued it for Linus.
>
> However it would be nice to get it into the Maverick alpha/beta
> kernels since it's breaking a bunch of 3d apps which means it is harder
> for people to look for other bugs.

Dave should have queued it up for 2.6.35-stable if it is a good fix
(which is clearly is).

I would ping him the request, CCing stable at vger.kernel.org . The first
stable update will be in the next few weeks likely, so it'll get into
Maverick soon after; better to minimise the Ubuntu delta with
upstream, minimising risk and work.

Thanks,
  Daniel
--