Fwd: Nepomuk recommendations for KDE SC 4.5

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Wed Aug 4 14:50:43 UTC 2010

On 08/04/2010 08:29 AM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> Upstream for Nepomuk needs us to up the inotify/max_user_watches to a
> higher value.  Can this be done?
>
> Jonathan
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Sebastian Tr?g<trueg at kde.org>  -----
>
> Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:26:05 +0200
> From: Sebastian Tr?g<trueg at kde.org>
> To: kde-packager at kde.org
> Subject: Nepomuk recommendations for KDE SC 4.5
>
> Dear packagers,
>
> for KDE SC 4.5 I recommend the following with respect to Nepomuk:
> * Update to Virtuoso 6.1.2. Not only does it fix bugs it highly
>    increases query performance in many areas to to work on the query
>    optimization engine.
> * Make sure /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches has a high value -
>    something like 524288 might be good. I know the whole inotify
>    situation is bad. But so far the kernel does not provide any means
>    to watch all file operations. This is something that is missing and
>    IMHO is required for a modern desktop system. Thus, if you have any
>    pull on kernel development please help out.
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian

The default limit for user watches is 8K, but you can set it to an
arbitrary value by writing /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches. This
appears to be the case in Lucid as the current value _is_ 524288. Memory
is not allocated until the inotify watch is instantiated.

This doesn't seem like a kernel issue.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com