Fwd: Nepomuk recommendations for KDE SC 4.5

Jonathan Riddell jriddell at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 4 14:29:06 UTC 2010

Upstream for Nepomuk needs us to up the inotify/max_user_watches to a
higher value.  Can this be done?

Jonathan

----- Forwarded message from Sebastian Tr?g <trueg at kde.org> -----

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:26:05 +0200
From: Sebastian Tr?g <trueg at kde.org>
To: kde-packager at kde.org
Subject: Nepomuk recommendations for KDE SC 4.5

Dear packagers,

for KDE SC 4.5 I recommend the following with respect to Nepomuk:
* Update to Virtuoso 6.1.2. Not only does it fix bugs it highly
  increases query performance in many areas to to work on the query
  optimization engine.
* Make sure /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches has a high value -
  something like 524288 might be good. I know the whole inotify
  situation is bad. But so far the kernel does not provide any means
  to watch all file operations. This is something that is missing and
  IMHO is required for a modern desktop system. Thus, if you have any
  pull on kernel development please help out.

Cheers,
Sebastian