CONFIG_DMAR and CONFIG_INTR_REMAP for KVM PCI Pass through

Andrew Mason andrew at miniatureworldmaker.com.au
Thu Apr 29 13:57:54 UTC 2010

Hello All,
I was attempting to restore a previously working (with Karmic) KVM guest
which had a PCI device passed through to it and noticed that the
64-server kernel has the following config.

>From /boot/config-2.6.32-21-server:

# CONFIG_DMAR is not set
# CONFIG_INTR_REMAP is not set

It is my understanding that both this options are required in order for
PCI passthrough to work with VTd capable KVM hosts.

http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_assign_devices_with_VT-d_in_KVM

Is my understanding correct? If so was this option specifically not set
or is it just that it hadn't been turned on since migrating to the new
kernel ?

Thanks in advance
Andrew