[LUCID] Turn off CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_ALSA_SUPPORT

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Tue Apr 27 15:35:26 UTC 2010

Jerone Young wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-04-27 at 09:55 -0400, Daniel Chen wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Jerone Young
>> <jerone.young at canonical.com> wrote:
>>> These use conexant chips (I liked when they used the AD chips). The
>>> patch for these is to patch_connexant.c :
>>> http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-kernel.git;a=commit;h=5551cfa7817751bbb42c3e3da41f1c0f6fa1da81
>>>
>>> Though this would not apply cleanly on to of what is in 2.6.32.
>> OTOH the Cxt changes aren't that invasive, just kinda big.
>
> What I'm not sure about if these are enough. There have been other
> changes to the conexant driver. Also someone would need to port these
> over and place them in the tree.
>
>>From what I've seen the best way is to turn CONFIG_THINKPAD_ACPI_ALSA
> off and allow for alsa-backports to work. This feature doesn't even work
> on any newer Thinkpad. It also doesn't do much for older Thinkpads at
> the moment. As I said .. I'm talking up removing it completely upstream,
> as it was trying to solve a problem at the wrong level.

This just has been added there and for a reason. I hope Henrique strongly
resists if you really ever start talking there about removing it. It is doing
things at the right level as there are in fact two mixers on those older
Thinkpads and the only sane way to handle that is to make it possible for
user-space to actually see that.
It is currently not doing much because user-space has to get updated to handle
this. But we certainly don't want the old way of taking the key events when this
results in changing both the hw and audio mixer.

-Stefan