[ubuntu-x] Kernel Call for Testing(CFT): DRM stack

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Fri Apr 16 22:14:56 UTC 2010

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:14:30PM -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>> The patches in question are for radeon KMS, and as I was told this was
>>> only recently fixed on 2.6.34-rc4, I'll review the git log on that
>>> stuff, see if I can cherry pick some patches out. I'm not highly
>>> motivated to do this though as things are working with a newer kernel
>>> and I'm happy to use it but if I have some time maybe I will, I can
>>> see this being useful for others.
>> Alright, well I haven't seen any other complaints (at least, there's no
>> bug reports I'm aware of) so it's not an issue on my radar.  Again
>> though, since the patch sounds like it's in the kernel drm, this seems
>> to be something the kernel team would need to be made aware of.
>
> Kernel team -- Just a heads up, I've tested Ubuntu 10.04 x86 beta2 on
> my system with ATI RV770 [Radeon HD 4870], it worked fine with 3d and
> HDMI video but HDMI audio did not work. I last reviewed HDMI support
> for these suckers and I was expecting this to be fixed last on the
> kernel since the HDMI code would be added for the radeon KMS. After
> installing 10.04 I then upgraded to 2.6.34-rc4 and my audio now works
> over HDMI.
>
> Brynce has suggested if I can look for the patches and see if you guys
> might consider merging for an SRU onto the Lucid kernel. If you guys
> are interested I might be up for reviewing this, otherwise I won't
> even bother as I'm personally happy running 2.6.34.
>
>   Luis

It depends just on how much (in size and complexity) this will turn out. I will
be open to it if it is not too scary. So interested, yes but if you find on your
way that this comes closer to a 2.6.34 backport than a bug fix you should not
flagellate yourself too much to go into more depth.

Does that sound reasonable?

Stefan