[Lucid][pull request] Update to 2.6.32.11 stable kernel

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Sat Apr 3 19:32:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 09:55:54AM -0400, Chase Douglas wrote:
>> > commit d6191b336f423ff680836dedafb23feae97a069c
>> > Author: Clemens Ladisch <clemens at ladisch.de>
>> >
>> >    PCI quirk: RS780/RS880: work around missing MSI initialization
>> >
>> > # Type: Quirk
>> > ! This should get dropped. Has been reported to cause regressions
>> > # Was dropped since the last review
>>
>> FYI: This patch seems to have been reworked in linux-2.6 HEAD (plus a
>> very fresh patch on lkml). The change made is to not quirk on all the
>> ATI graphics chips, but to quirk on specific motherboards that don't
>> initialize MSI properly. If we see any ATI bugs, it might help to ask
>> people to boot with pci=nomsi and add quirks for motherboards if it
>> fixes things.
>
> How would we determine that MSI was not properly initialized?  What
> symptoms should we look for?

bug 509273 appears to exhibit this issue [1]. Shortly after boot
(often when you get into *dm), the machine will crash or hang. I
haven't yet had a chance to build a test kernel module for this bug,
but it's on my list of things to do.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/509273

-- Chase