Karmic I/O scheduler issues

John Mahoney jmahoney at waav.com
Wed Sep 30 00:17:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com>wrote:

> John Mahoney wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner at canonical.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> I've been messing with I/O scheduler settings in the last couple of
> >> uploads. We found that CFQ has some serious issues that contributed to
> >> delayed boot times, so I changed the default to Deadline in
> >> 2.6.31-10.35. Scott Remnant reported that changing to Deadline shaved 40
> >> seconds off his boot.
> >>
> >> Since then I found this info: http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/436342
> >>
> >> I've been running a kernel with this patch and CFQ enabled. Perhaps some
> >> other folks could compare and contrast Deadline v.s. CFQ using their
> >> workloads. I find that CFQ is working a bit better then Deadline. I can
> >> run a 'make -j8' kernel build and still watch video while also playing
> >> music and reading email (without _too_ much stalling). Deadline is
> >> noticeably less smooth when the load average approaches 8.
> >>
> >> Adventurous types can try this kernel from
> >>
> >> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~rtg/2.6.31-11-NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS<http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ertg/2.6.31-11-NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS>
> <http://kernel.ubuntu.com/%7Ertg/2.6.31-11-NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS>
> >> (when its done copying)
> >>

> > It would be nice if Ubuntu had debugfs enabled by default so users could
> > more easily adjust these settings.
> >
> > Such as discussed here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/2/67
> >
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >

> debian.master/config/config.common.ubuntu:CONFIG_DEBUG_FS=y
>
> The debug file system is not mounted automagically. There are docs in
> the kernel tree at Documentation/filesystems/debugfs.txt.

What do you know.

sudo mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug

john at john-desktop:/sys/kernel/debug$ cat sched_features
NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS NORMALIZED_SLEEPER WAKEUP_PREEMPT START_DEBIT
AFFINE_WAKEUPS CACHE_HOT_BUDDY SYNC_WAKEUPS NO_HRTICK NO_DOUBLE_TICK
ASYM_GRAN LB_BIAS LB_WAKEUP_UPDATE ASYM_EFF_LOAD NO_WAKEUP_OVERLAP
LAST_BUDDY

And like magic.  Sorry for my ignorance.

Thanks for the enlightenment,
John