[KARMIC] Ubuntu: Cachefs and no enabled modules for nfs and afs

william at cobradevil.org william at cobradevil.org
Tue Sep 22 18:29:47 UTC 2009

> william at cobradevil.org wrote:
>> Hello List,
>>
>> i was reading about a cache solution for networked filesystems from
>> kernel
>> 2.6.30 and higher. Last weekend i wanted to try the nfs caching but it
>> seems that the ksarmic kernel does not have enabled the nfs cache and
>> afs
>> cache modules.
>>
>> Maybe there is a specific reason for that but could someone explain why
>> these modules are not set in the kernel config?
>>
>> # CONFIG_NFS_FSCACHE is not set
>> # CONFIG_AFS_FSCACHE is not set
>>
>> With kind regards
>>
>> William van de Velde
>>

> We typically don't enable options that are marked experimental.
>
> fs/nfs/Kconfig:depends on EXPERIMENTAL

But why is cachefs core module enabled when that one also is experimental
/lib/modules/2.6.31-10-generic/kernel/fs/fscache/fscache.ko
fs/fscache/Kconfig: depends on EXPERIMENTAL
boot/config-2.6.31-10-generic: CONFIG_CACHEFILES=m

also is the userspace daemon cachefilesd for nfs and afs already in the
repository.

I think it would be generally a good idea to not enable experimental
things but we already have the cachefilesd userspace daemon and the kernel
stuff can be build as modules so can this functionality be enabled as a
module?

With kind regards

William van de Velde