karmic SAUCE request: fix acerhdf for AOA150

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Wed Sep 9 08:46:49 UTC 2009

[Also filed as https://launchpad.net/bugs/426691, I was advised on
#ubuntu-kernel to send it here too.]

Hi,

I would like to request that fixing the acerhdf fan driver for Acer
Aspire One AOA150 (those that ship with an HD) models be considered for
sauce in karmic.

The current state of the driver is that it (apparently) works on AOA110
models (those that ship with a SSD), but on my AOA150 causes weird
pulsing behaviour from the fan. I have tested using the standalone
source tarball for the driver to compile a new module into
/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/updates, and the updated acerhdf 0.5.16 as
currently being considered for 2.6.32 solves the problem.

The diff is fairly simple, consisting primarily of enhancing the tables
of numerical BIOS commands to include new values.

Kernel patchwork:
http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/39701/

Git changeset:
f0c28100d3d83ecdfc225be00ad341c0d40d9837
in:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/lenb/linux-acpi-2.6
on branch:
test

Potential for regressions is minimal, as the acerhdf driver is new in
karmic, and does not work in a useful way on AOA150 hardware without
this patch.

Thanks,
Max.