Kernel patch for AC notifier chain

Tippett, Matthew Matthew.Tippett at amd.com
Tue Sep 1 18:17:09 UTC 2009

There are two reasons that the driver needs this.

1) To simplify driver event aggregation, we have the kernel portion of the driver gather various events and push it to the userland for touching the power-management driver code.  We expect long term to put this driver code in the kernel.  This driver code uses a set of different clock/voltage setting to control the power draw for the device.  The AC/DC values are typically set by the OEM into the BIOS based on their design.

2) There are some platform designs that the current draw of the GPU at high clocks may cause an overcurrent condition for the battery.  The window that has been communicated is measured in 10s and 100s of milliseconds to put the GPU into a lower powerstate.  Clearly posting a netlink event and then relying on a possibly non-running or misconfigured power daemon which then communicates with the driver through other mechanisms is inferior to the kernel side of the driver receiving the acpi event and immediately posting it for the userland side of the driver to take action.

Regards... Matthew

--
Blackberry-Sent
Matthew Tippett