[Karmic] SRU: Fix virtual package build on i386

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Sat Oct 31 13:52:08 UTC 2009

Stefan Bader wrote:
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact: Running the kernel build from within debuild (which is done by
> the buildds) seems to imply the -e shell option being set. This in
> turn causes the copy loop, which takes modules from one main flavour
> to the subflavour, to exit on the first wildcard rule which fails to
> find any files. This is the case as with the "drivers/xen/*" line.
> Everything after that is not going into the package.
>
> Fix: Prevent the find command in the script from being a failure point.
> If no files are found, just continue.
> [The patch also fixes a small issue on printing the copied modules to
> stdout. Before only the main module was printed multiple times, if there
> were depending modules. Now the real module name is printed]
>
> Testcase: Run "debuild -B" for the i386 architecture. Without this
> patch, there are quite a lot modules missing. (Tested in PPA)
>
> -Stefan

The root cause for this change in behavior is bash which was revised
from 3.x to 4.x during the Karmic development cycle. Evidentally the 4.x
version strictly enforces '-e' semantics. I whacked on the sub-flavours
script when that happened, but I'm clearly not the best shell programmer
:) Good catches.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com