[KARMIC] [SRU] Add Sentelic Finger Senseing Pad Touchpad support

Stefan Bader stefan.bader at canonical.com
Thu Oct 29 10:20:04 UTC 2009

Jerone Young wrote:
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact: On laptops with the Sentelic Finger Senseing Pad are not fully
> functional the main problems are:
>
>       * The trackpad is very sensitive and there is no way to turn off
>         tap to click so it is easy to moving ones typing point when
>         entering text.
>       * There is no scrolling by movement down the right side as on the
>         Synaptics Track pad because Synaptics have patented that
>         feature, the taping of sensitive areas is however a good
>         substitute.
>
> Laptops such as the MSI Wind are effected. A driver was accepted
> upstream that addresses these issues though didn't make into 2.6.31, but
> in 2.6.32 tree.
> LP# 311869
>
> Related links:
> http://www.pcurtis.com/wind.htm#sentelic
>

> Fix:
> The upstream commit is here:
> http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=fc69f4a6af49ee69475dc4217924d9edf77760e0
>
> Also need to have turned on in kernel configuration file.

As we need to concentrate on Lucid work harder, the SRU policy has been modified
to require upstream changes to go to upstream stable and through that back to Karmic.
There should be only very few exceptions to this. And especially as the patch you
ask for is certainly above a simple quirk. So NAK for this. People might use mainline
or Lucid kernels. You could try to submit it to upstream stable but it likely has the
problem of size.

-Stefan