TuxOnIce in Ubuntu kernel?

Chow Loong Jin hyperair at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 18 08:59:03 UTC 2009

Hi Kernel Team,

I've recently been testing out TuxOnIce on my notebook, and was rather surprised
to note the performance improvements over the kernel method/swsusp. (Less than
half a minute to a functional desktop, with swap in dm-crypt/lvm).

On the same system, the kernel method and uswsusp both take 2-5 minutes to
resume, depending on how much memory/swap usage I had prior to hibernating.
While this might have been acceptable in the past, with Ubuntu's boot time
getting shorter and shorter (the target is 10s, IIRC), I think it's time our
hibernating/resuming time grew shorter.

Something I did notice in my tests is that for the same system, all three
methods resumed from cryptsetup's password prompt to userspace in pretty similar
time frames (<30s). However, for the kernel method and uswsusp, the system is
unusable while it continues to swap out for 2-5 minutes. A user on a bug report
once did some benchmarks by running `vmstat 1` and hibernating. The result was
that the swapout rate was approximately 1MB/s after resuming. IMO this is rather
suboptimal and could be improved much.

And hence my suggestions:
1) Switch to tuxonice for hibernate/resume (tuxonice-userui can be improved, and
pm-utils already has support for tuxonice)
2) Improve (u)swsusp to read out more from the swap instead of unfreezing tasks
prematurely and having the rest swapped out slowly.

--
Kind regards,
Chow Loong Jin (GPG: 0x8F02A411)