dib0700 firmware licensing

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Thu Oct 8 16:12:41 UTC 2009

A few weeks ago, various DVB firmware blobs got moved into
linux-firmware-nonfree.  One of these was the firmware for the DibCom
dib0700.

We worked with DibCom to get them to clarify their licensing for the
dib0700 1.20 firmware, and it can now be freely redistributed.

The license terms can be found here:

http://www.kernellabs.com/firmware/dib0700/README.dib0700

We will be working to get this into dwm2's upstream linux-firmware
tree, but given Karmic's schedule it would be worthwhile if we could
get this moved out of linux-firmware-nonfree and back into
linux-firmware before the release.

Without this change, users will see a regression when they upgrade to
Karmic and don't know that they need to install the new
linux-firmware-nonfree package.

A launchpad ticket has been opened for this issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware/+bug/446454

Is there any chance we can get this moved back in time for Karmic so
that users don't see a regression in functionality?  I would have
gotten this straightened out sooner but was unaware of Ubuntu's
intentions to move this stuff so late in the release cycle.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com