Documentation for building a kernel package for the archives?

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Wed Oct 7 08:09:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 07, 2009 at 12:35:04AM -0400, Darxus at ChaosReigns.com wrote:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile
> https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KernelTeam/KernelMaintenance
>
> Anything more accurate than that, perhaps mentioning debian.master?

The debian.master stuff is documented at the URL below, other than the
rename to debian.master the other docs should be accurate (ish):

    https://wiki.kubuntu.org/KernelTeam/AbstractedDebian

> --
> "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority."
> - Benjamin Franklin
> http://www.ChaosReigns.com                                 Guns save lives.

> It looks like incrementing the ABI and:
> touch debian/rules.d/control.stub.in
> finally satisfied ABI, but now I'm getting:
>
> II: Checking modules for generic...previous or current modules file
> missing!
>
> Am I supposed to use "debian/abi/<prev-ver>/<arch>/ignore"?

You would get ABI issues if you either don't have the previous ABI files
checked in which will occur when the 'start new release' is not yet
created in the tree, or if you have truly changed the ABI by the changes
you are making.  (The start new release commit cannot be made until the
build of the previous upload has completed.)

You can turn off those checks for your builds if you use the ignore and
ignore.modules files as you indicate.

-apw