UBUNTU: LP#438323 Added omnibook module to support Toshiba (HP)

Andy Whitcroft apw at canonical.com
Thu Oct 1 10:23:24 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 04:33:51PM -0500, Manoj Iyer wrote:

> This patch add the omnibook module to ubuntu/ I built and tested this on
> my NB200 and it enables bluetooth. This module is known to fix buttons,
> battery, etc on HP & Toshiba laptops. The module is under development and
> it is not upstream yet. It will be good to add under ubuntu/ for karmic as
> this is relatively harmless, and extends support for devices that will
> otherwise not be supported at all.

"realtively harmless"?  This appears to be a complete platform driver
for all Toshiba and all HP laptops, 116 laptops to be precise:

    apw at dm$ git show lp438323 | grep .ident\ = | wc -l
    116

I presume you can not have tested this on most of these.  This driver
does look to support wifi rfkill, backlight control, hotkeys etc.
Now Toshiba hotkeys, well Toshiba in general is a pain point so this could
be beneficial.  But at this stage in the cycle the chances of regression
seems very high as it applies to _so_ many laptops.

>   60 files changed, 11124 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

Also given its giant size and wide applicability I am uncomfortable pulling
this into Karmic at this stage of the release.

This does appear to be a self contained compile and might be suitable
for turning into a DKMS package perhaps, this would allow people to test
it on a wider range of laptops?

-apw