Oops on i915 on 8086:a011 pine trail 2.6.32-rc6

Steve Conklin steve.conklin at canonical.com
Thu Nov 19 15:29:22 UTC 2009

On 11/11/2009 04:26 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Getting an oops with a pine trail netbook I'm doing testing on on
>> 2.6.32-rc6 with a fresh new distro kernel for the next Ubuntu 10.04
>> release:
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/2.6.32-3.3/+build/1339939/+files/linux-image-2.6.32-3-386_2.6.32-3.3_i386.deb
>>
>> The machine boots fine with 2.6.31.
>>
>> The oops happens early on the boot process, I'll next rebuild my own
>> with early boot delay (CONFIG_BOOT_PRINTK_DELAY) as that seems to be
>> the only way I'm going to get this full trace out. Good thing is its
>> 100% reproducible so I should be able to bisect. The only thing
>> visible so far is the end of the oops:
>>
>> http://bombadil.infradead.org/~mcgrof/oops-img/2009/11/2.6.32-rc6-i915-8086-a011-oops-01.jpg
>
> I compiled my own 2.6.32-rc6 based Linus' tip from today actually and
> I didn't run into issues.
>
>   Luis

Luis (and everyone else),

I'm taking the lead for graphics on the Ubuntu kernel team. I'm happy to have bugs filed
on launchpad for these, and you can contact me directly or send email to the canonical
kernel team list, which I'm including in this distribution.

I'm tracking issues with a couple of platforms using the i915 driver as delivered
both in the karmic release, and in the 10.04 kernel. I hope to have them resolved soon.
Testing on the non-pinetrail platform this morning, the issues were resolved with the
patches queued for Linus's next merge. Knowing that Linus' tip solves your pine trail
issue is good information. Thanks for your testing work!

Steve Conklin