[Karmic] SRU: Update to 2.6.31.6 stable kernel

Leann Ogasawara leann.ogasawara at canonical.com
Wed Nov 11 19:13:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-11 at 10:59 -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> The 2.6.31.6 stable kernel has recently been released:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/linux/+bug/480144
>
> The 2.6.31.6 stable release contains 101 patches.  I've applied and
> pushed these patches to a stable branch in my tree for review.  I'll
> patches.
>
> git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ogasawara/ubuntu-karmic stable-2.6.31.6

> The 101 stable patches are as follows:
>
> * fs: pipe.c null pointer dereference
> * pci: increase alignment to make more space for hidden code
> * libata: fix internal command failure handling
> * libata: fix PMP initialization
> * sata_nv: make sure link is brough up online when skipping hardreset
> * nfs: Fix nfs_parse_mount_options() kfree() leak
> * KVM: use proper hrtimer function to retrieve expiration time
> * KVM: ignore reads from AMDs C1E enabled MSR
> * futex: Handle spurious wake up
> * futex: Check for NULL keys in match_futex
> * futex: Move drop_futex_key_refs out of spinlock'ed region
> * futex: Fix spurious wakeup for requeue_pi really
> * ahci: revert "Restore SB600 sata controller 64 bit DMA"
> * sparc64: Set IRQF_DISABLED on LDC channel IRQs.
> * sparc: Kill PROM console driver.

Seems this could introduce a risk of regression because it completely
removes the driver.  I'd lean towards not including this patch.

> * watchdog: Fix rio watchdog probe function
> * Input: synaptics - add another Protege M300 to rate blacklist

We were already carrying this patch in Karmic.

> * dm snapshot: free exception store on init failure
> * dm snapshot: sort by chunk size to fix race
> * dm log: userspace fix incorrect luid cast in userspace_ctr
> * dm: add missing del_gendisk to alloc_dev error path
> * dm: dec_pending needs locking to save error value
> * dm exception store: fix failed set_chunk_size error path
> * dm snapshot: lock snapshot while supplying status
> * dm snapshot: require non zero chunk size by end of ctr
> * dm snapshot: use unsigned integer chunk size
> * ray_cs: Fix copy_from_user handling
> * mbind(): fix leak of never putback pages
> * do_mbind(): fix memory leak
> * 8250_pci: add IBM Saturn serial card
> * dpt_i2o: Fix up copy*user
> * dpt_i2o: Fix typo of EINVAL
> * hfsplus: refuse to mount volumes larger than 2TB
> * Driver core: fix driver_register() return value
> * tty: Mark generic_serial users as BROKEN

Results in  the rio, sx, and generic_serial modules not being built
and also CONFIG_RIO=m and CONFIG_SX=m being removed from
config.commong.ubuntu.  This could possibly lead to a regression.
Looking at some driver-stats I'd gathered a while ago I'd agree with the
upstream comment that there are a sparse number of users, and I only saw
1 hw profile mentioning the sx driver:

http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/hwdb/driver-stats.html

But to be on the safe side, I'd say we not include this patch as well.