Lucid Arm Kernels

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com
Wed Nov 4 01:52:36 UTC 2009

Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> The purpose of this email is to start to document and discuss the plan
> for the existing ARM branches (imx-51 and mvl-dove) for the Lucid cycle.
> It will also describe the implementation of this plan in particular
> indicating where we have to deviate from that plan due to external
> constraints.
>
> The Problem: Last cycle it took a very very long time to get working
> kernels for the ARM boards and this reduced the time available for the
> mobile teams to complete the userspace porting for these platforms.
> Generally pushing us late into the cycle and up against the freezes.
>
> The Logical Plan: The plan is to keep the ARM branches back on the
> Karmic kernels until such time as a stable kernel replacement is ready
> for those platforms.  We would maintain the kernels in Karmic as normal
> and copy those kernels forward to Lucid as they are updated.  When and if
> a replacement kernel is available for a platform we would then break the
> link between Karmic and Lucid and update Lucid only to the updated version.
> We do not envision the ARM kernel would be newer than the distro kernel.
>
> Issues: There are a number of issues which lead us to not be able to use
> the exact same kernel source and binaries for both Karmic and Lucid
> going forward:
>
> 1) the archive does not allow a package to have the same filename in two
>    releases beyond the initial copy from Karmic to Lucid,
> 2) the compiler in Lucid is likely to be updated to a newer version than
>    that in Karmic and we desire the kernel to be compiled with the same
>    compiler as installed on the system, and
> 3) the archive is being rebuilt for Lucid using arm-v7 as a base and
>    we desire the kernel to be compiled correctly (does this affect the
>    kernel?).
>
> The first of these throws up additional issues, particularly in combination
> with 2 & 3.  If the kernel version cannot be the same in the two series
> then we have to maintain separate version numbers in each.  Talking this
> through with the archive admins there is one simple requirement, the
> version numbers must not match in the two series and must be higher in
> the later series to make upgrades work as expected.
>
> Option ~karmic1: The common way to deal with this is to upload the updated
> package to Lucid (the newer series) and then update the changelog leader
> as below and re-upload for Karmic (the older series); indeed SRU policy
> tends to encourage this through an implied requirement that a fix is
> in Development before being SRUd.  So we would build a source package
> as normal, then modify the changelog as below and rebuild the source
> package again:
>
>     linux-mvl-dove (2.6.31-208.17) lucid; urgency=low
>     [...]
>
> becomes:
>     linux-mvl-dove (2.6.31-208.17~karmic1) karmic-proposed; urgency=low
>     [...]
> [...]

In my opinion the only way to do this is 'Option split ABI' and carry
Lucid fsl-imx51 and mvl-dove branches in the Karmic repo. I realize the
naming is a bit unorthogonal, but its also possible that one or more of
the ARM flavours will eventually migrate to newer kernel versions during
the Lucid cycle. If that happens, then we'll start new branches in the
Lucid repo.

Tim Gardner tim.gardner at canonical.com